A while ago, I was invited by Stylinity to try out their Style Stage at the Limited.
If you don’t live in Columbus or haven’t seen these yet, you’re probably wondering … what is Stylinity and what is a Style Stage?
Stylinity is a new fashion tech company based in New York City. They take the idea of the selfie and bring it into stores. As you can see from the video, it’s like a big iPhone that takes your picture. The idea is that when you’re out shopping, you can share with friends what you’re trying on and get a second (or third) opinion. For all the ‘selfie-takers’ out there, that should be enough to get you out to try it.
However, if you’re like me and you don’t take ‘selfies,’ it may seem a little weird to you. I don’t like to take photos of myself, so I was a little hesitant, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Once I got started, I found it to be really fun. I also found that it was a great way to see how pieces actually look.
Here’s how it works:
– You shop the store and collect all the things you would like to try on
– Go back in the dressing room and start putting your outfits together
– Find the Style Stage and scan each item that you have on
– When you’re ready, click the ‘take photo’ button and it will give you about 5 seconds to get set-up
– It takes 4 photos of you (with a few seconds between each one, so you can move around)
– Review your photos and decide which ones (if any) you would like to retake
– Once you’re happy with them, enter your email
– They’ll be sent straight to your inbox (you also have the option to share via Facebook or Twitter)
Here’s why it’s great:
1. You can see exactly how you look from all angles (I was surprised – I ended up with purchases that were different than I would have expected)
2. If you try something on and then later decide you would like to buy it, you already have all the info in your inbox (because you scanned all the items before you started). Also, you can shop directly from the site – super easy!
For my looks, I chose to go with outfits that were a little casual. The Limited is known for its business-wear and we know that they have great suits, so I wanted to showcase something different. Also, since I worked in a creative business, I don’t wear suits to my business meetings. However, I still like to look nice and professional.
In the first outfit, I chose to keep the actual outfit fairly neutral with a light patterned top and white jeans. I love the bright green jacket. The green color is perfect for spring and it has navy lining, which makes it easy to match with other colors. I also love the bright purse – it will work great for the spring and move right into summer.
In the second outfit, I went for more of a weekend look. This is something I would wear to run errands or go to brunch on Saturday morning. The top is loose and comfortable, but with the skinny jeans and flats, it still looks pulled together. I also thought this camel/tan colored purse was great. It’s big enough to hold all the essentials and then some. It’s also something that would work great for meetings – you could definitely get an iPad and notebook in there (And maybe even a laptop). It’s like a tote, but without the bulk.
Let me know – what do you think? Do you have a favorite outfit or piece from the outfits?
Stay tuned for more fun looks next week on Fashion Friday with Stylinity!
Below are 2 great looks from the Limited: